Friday, January 27, 2006

S-Dot = Citizen of the United Kingdom?

No.

But as far as my musical taste goes, I'm closer than I thought. Last night I picked up Q Magazine's Top 100 Album's of All Time issue, and I've got seven of the top ten. Now it does help that three of them (including the top two) were Radiohead albums, and two were from Oasis, but it's amusing to see that the U.S. seems to "sweat" The Beatles more than their own homeland. Rolling Stone's Top 500 albums list included four Beatles albums, two albums that I own (Pet Sounds and London Calling), and none that I listen to. I've been trying to come up with a reason for this and I think it comes down to the fact that the British list was less resistant to change. I'm sure that the British would have made a very similar list to that from the American Rolling Stone in 1980, the year the last album on the list (London Calling) was released. But I'd like to thank that great music has been released since I've been born, and thankfully, the British seem to agree. While I wouldn't list OK Computer as the greatest album of all time as Q did, I have to believe that we've evolved enough musically to create music even greater than the best works of the 1960's. I'm not arguing that The Beatles weren't more influential in their time than Radiohead is now, but that seems to be another argument altogether. People love Chuck Berry's music because it's great, but don't give special preference to it because it influenced The Beatles. Why not? Because that's what a timeline is for. I'm not going to say The Beatles were better than Radiohead because they came first. Not that The Beatles weren't great; I still enjoy listening to "Let It Be" and "Eleanor Rigby." But I'm going to choose "Idioteque" and "True Love Waits" over them ten times out of ten.

But just because I think they have more intelligent tastes (and because the previous discussion centered around two British bands) does not mean I think they're superior to us musically. More on that later... (USA...USA)

1 Comments:

Blogger Jake Barker said...

I think we can all agree that the one thing the Brits have on us is their government meetings. I would watch Parliament ten times out of ten over any Senate meeting on C-SPAN. Do you think that Senators actually convinced people to create a network so they could be on TV? Do you know anyone that actually watches C-SPAN. CNN, Fox News, all fine...C-SPAN? A waste of space.

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home