Wednesday, February 01, 2006

National Signing Day! (or: Day I Seriously Consider Paying for Both ESPN Insider and a Subscription For Rivals.com)


I promised you an update on USA vs. Britain when it comes to music, but I'm not really 'feeling it' today, so here's the short of it: Americans dominate the British when it comes to lyrics...blah, blah, blah...just look at the hidden track on X&Y and try to imagine Johnny Cash actually singing the lyrics Chris Martin wrote for him...blah, blah, blah...Bob Dylan...Paul Simon...blah, blah, blah..."She Loves You, yeah, yeah, yeah"...Jeff Tweedy...

Now that that's (I went out of my way to avoid "that that's" last posting, but now I kind of like it) over with, here comes the real fun:



NATIONAL SIGNING DAY!!

The day where an 18 year-old boy officially decides which fan base he can least afford to have hating him for his college career. I have a new second-favorite person who lives in Texas (Mrs. Walker's son still resides in Dallas):








win me a National Championship and you can pretty much guarantee a Stafford Wuske roaming the earth in a few years.






Matthew Stafford is from Highland Park High School in Dallas and is regarded as the #2 QB coming out of high school this year. We also picked up three of the top five safeties and the #5 DB starting college. I'd like to think that we'll give up literally zero (0) passing yards in a few years.
I'm not going to pretend that I've been following these guys since they were in kindergarten, in fact, I always feel underprepared come signing day. Living in Cincinnati, my high school football watching seems to revolve around small Catholic kids who are a thrill to watch but seem to choose UC, Kentucky, or the other Miami in Division I-A. One way or another, come college, the only time I'll ever see those guys is if they're busy putting up points but still getting blown out by UGA, as UK seems prone to do.

Until 2008 and 2014, when the Bearcats make the trip to Athens to set the record for fewest fans traveling to see an SEC football game, and in 2011, when all the red and black in Cincinnati will be for Dawgs, not Cats . Two examples of how much college football matters in Athens vs. Cincinnati:

1. Cincinnati has already decided that the game will have to be played in Paul Brown Stadium. This also means that we won't have the chance to break the attendance record at Nippert, which wouldn't have been hard as the top two on the attendance list were the afformentioned high school games.

2. I have heard this game mentioned one time on Cincinnati radio. I was driving home from church at night listening to 700 WLW when the host welcomed a caller from Athens, who proceeded to mention that occasionally at the right time of night, when it's not too cloudy, he can get WLW and called in to ask about how Cincinnati liked David Pollack and see what we thought about the upcoming 2-and-1 series between the schools. After the longest pause I've heard on radio, the host mentioned that Pollack was quickly growing into a great player, and after another extended break, he mentioned that the game was, in fact, scheduled. Very insightful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home