Friday, February 10, 2006

It's not Bull; It's not Harry Anderson.

I was going to keep silent about the Super Bowl, then I read this quote from Pittsburgh guard Alan Faneca in the newspaper today: "You want to talk about the officiating, but it still doesn't add up to 11 points in my book."

7 - Roethlisberger's "touchdown"- "I told Coach, 'I don't think I got in,' Roethlisberger told (David) Letterman. "But we were getting ready to go for it on fourth down anyway, and I would have run it again. So we would have found a way to get in." If he admittedly didn't make it the first time, I don't think he gets away with assuming he'll make it the next time.

+

4 - Darrell Jackson's touchdown that was nullified by offensive pass interference. What should have been the definition of a "let them play" call turned into the definitive "late flag because of a whiny player." The pass interference call in the 2002 National Championship game was a late flag because the ref panicked and wanted to make sure he didn't screw up the call. Although the call wasn't pass interference, it was defensive holding. The call in the Super Bowl was the equivalent of Jordan's last shot with the Bulls. Only in this situation, Bryon Russell whines his way into getting the ref to award him a penalty on a play the ref was in a great position to see and obviously had no intention on calling. The Seahawks ended up settling for a field goal.

+

3 - Phantom holding call on Sean Locklear in the fourth: Locklear's penalty erased an 18-yard completion from Matt Hasselbeck to Jerramy Stevens to the Pittsburgh 1. We hear all the time that holding could be called on nearly every play, but instead it's called on one of the rare occasions where it didn't occur. I'm not giving them the seven because I didn't give it to the Steelers, but they would have been at the one on first down rather than fourth.

=14

Although it doesn't add up to exactly eleven, I don't think that was really his point.



By the way, I'm still waiting to study up on the whole Old Testament life into New Testament writings thing for my first writing about God.

And PLEASE tell me you were able to watch the final four episodes of Arrested Development tonight.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jake Barker said...

Does Big Ben's admission of failure to break the plain take away from his greatness? First of all the fact that I attributed greatness to 7 is questionable in the first place. But you never heard Brady come out and say, "Yeah, I definetly fumbled," against the Raiders. Could you imagine Montana admitting that he didn't think Craig was going to catch that ball or Franco wondering publicly whether that ball actually hit the ground before he caught it.

It seems to me that by Ben questioning the legitimacy of the touchdown it taints the win. I don't care whether you don't think you were in...you act like you were, you tell people you were, you yell at the ref if he says you weren't.

You lie. Yes kids...that's right. Lie.

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home